We saw Disney’s The Lion King and absolutely loved it:
Director Jon Favreau’s fantasy drama film is a computer animated remake of the 1994 animated Disney film of the same name. It features the voice talents of Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Billy Eichner, John Oliver, Beyoncé, and James Earl Jones. A young lion returns from exile in adulthood, ready to reclaim the throne that was stolen from him and his father by his treacherous uncle.
Disney’s “The Lion King,” the worldwide phenomenon that brought the Pride Lands’ iconic characters to life in a whole new way, arrives in a collectible SteelBook format, available only at Best Buy, on Oct. 22. This blockbuster earned over $1 billion at the global box office! Own it with all-new bonus features and music videos!
Several years ago I had done some work on the re-release of the animated version, so I was fairly educated about the movie, and the process of bringing it to life. Watching the live action version was not only a visual treat, hearing some of my favorite actors voice these characters was also treat, and even better, we have Beyoncé singing! And we are huge fans of Childish Gambino (Donald Glover)!
Every family will want to own this collectible SteelBook, hurry and purchase it at BestBuy.com, or in-store. The beautiful African vistas, the incredible animal scenes, and the memorable story, is something people of all ages can enjoy, parents, their children, and even the grandparents! Also, Save $5 on select Disney titles with purchase of Lion King. Enter code LIONKING5 at checkout!
In-home audiences will feel the love as they trek behind the scenes and to the African savanna through “The Journey to ‘The Lion King,’” a three-part documentary that explores the film’s creation. It features visits to the Playa Vista production facility where talent, including Donald Glover (voice of Simba) honor and elevate the animated classic’s iconic music; discussions with Favreau and team who used cutting-edge technology to create photorealistic animals and environments; and filmmaker and cast reflections on the timeless tale that has moved generations. Extras also include “More to Be Scene,” layer-by-layer progressions of some of the film’s most iconic moments; lyric video for “Never Too Late” by Elton John and music video for “Spirit” by Beyoncé; sing-alongs to the film’s unforgettable songs; and a feature on the “Protect the Pride” campaign, which focuses on protecting and revitalizing the lion population.
In “The Lion King,” pioneering filmmaking techniques bring treasured characters to life in a whole new way. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother — and former heir to the throne — has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his. The all-star cast includes Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon.
John Oliver as Zazu was hilarious, and Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner really made this role their own, after all, they were filing some big shoes, Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella were a hard act to follow. And they did, and they followed splendidly, they were fantastic!
Look at this incredible cast of actors:
- The Journey to “The Lion King”
- The Music – Go inside the studio with the cast and crew as they work to honor and elevate The Lion King’s beloved music.
- The Magic – Discover how the filmmakers blended the traditional filmmaking techniques with virtual reality technology to create amazing movie magic.
- The Timeless Tale – Filmmakers and cast reflect on the story that has moved generations and share how this Lion King carries a proud legacy forward.
- More to Be Scene – Recording studio and layer-by-layer progressions of some of most iconic moments in “The Lion King.”
- “Circle of Life” – Peel back the layers of effects and go behind the scenes of this iconic musical moment from the film
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – See all the effects, talent and fun that went into creating this vibrant version of “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” for the movie
- “Hakuna Matata” – Join Donald Glover (Simba), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon) in the studio for the making of this memorable scene.
- Music Videos
- “Never Too Late” (lyric video) by Elton John
- “Spirit” performed by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
- Filmmaker Introduction
- Audio Commentary – By Director Jon Favreau.
- Song Selection
- “Circle of Life”
- “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”
- “Be Prepared”
- “Hakuna Matata”
- “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
- “Never Too Late”
- Protect the Pride –Director Jon Favreau, the Lion Recovery Fund and conservationists highlight efforts to protect the majestic lions and their home.
And nothing beats James Earl Jones as Mufasa, he returns to his original role, and it is everything!
Disclaimer: The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.
Disney’s The Lion King SteelBook Collectible From Best Buy! I love my copy!