I met and learned about the Animal Jam game at a recent conference. I was very impressed! For those of you who don’t know, Animal Jam is a huge multi-player online game for kids created in association with the National Geographic Society. There is a free game component as well as a paid component. All educational content is accessible to players for free. Their goal is to inspire children to learn how to protect the natural world, and make science accessible and fun!
Animal Jam is a safe online playground for children who love animals and the outdoors. For those who follow me on social media, you already know my son is just such a kid, he loves petting zoos and learning how to help animals! Players create and customize animal characters, chat with friends, adopt pets, go on adventures, etc. They have access to the huge libraries of National Geographic!
The three most important facts regarding this great kids game are:
1. Education – Animal Jam works in conjunction with National Geographic so they have the best information for our children. They have many facts for the kids to learn, and a host of great videos.
2. Safety – The most important facet of any online gaming program is safety when children are involved. As a blogger I have been well educated in this as my son does videos for a friend’s video website and they are constantly talking about the safeguards they have in place. At Animal Jam the chat filters and in-game moderators are two hugely important factors that I look at when deciding what games my son can play. The fact that there is no outside advertising and their privacy policies are strict are other important factors for me and my child.
3. Fun – This is more than just a computer game. There are free downloads to keep the kids busy even when the computer is off. We used to love taking the printables on the road for my son to use when we were traveling.
At the event, my son and I were thrilled to meet Brady Barr (that famous herpetologist) at the event!
Brady taught us the easiest way to tell the difference between crocodiles and alligators. Alligators have a U shaped nose and crocodiles tend to have a V shaped nose! Also, parts of Florida are the only places where both alligators and crocodiles live together! We were mesmerized by all these interesting facts!
And he brought some friends, I got to take a selfie with one of them!
I urge you to visit the site now if you are not one of the millions who are already playing! Click here for the link and try the game for free! You can also click here for additional fun activities!
I always follow along on social media, and you might want to as well!
In conclusion, let me leave you with this – Animal Jam helps support the mission of the National Geographic Society, it is an amazing way to get children to learn more to care about our planet and its inhabitants on this planet Earth that we all share. In addition to learning about conservation, kids can also donate gems in the game and in this way help support monetarily. Millions of dollars are donated to help the National Geographic’s conservation efforts. This is a great lesson to be teaching our children!
One lucky reader of the GayNYCDad award winning blog, will win 12 months of Animal Jam membership and tons of virtual currency (25,000 gems and 25 diamonds)!
Mandatory Entry: Sign up for my blog via subscription and confirm your subscription! Leave a comment to tell that you have done so and the RSS feed does not count.
1. Follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/gaynycdad (click above right).
2. Share this contest on your Facebook page using the button on the bottom of the post and share that link in your entry comment here.
3. Retweet this info (you can use the tweet button at the bottom of the post) and leave me a comment with a link to your retweet.
4. Retweet daily and leave a comment daily that you have done this.
5. Extra entry for leaving a comment on a non-giveaway post – you must leave a comment here as well to tell me that you have done so to get the entry.
6. Join me via Google friend connect on the blog and leave me a comment to tell me that you have done so!
7. “Like” my Facebook page here, leave me a separate comment telling me you have done so. If you already like me, just leave a separate comment.
8. Follow me on Instagram and leave a separate comment!
9. Follow me on Pinterest and leave a separate comment!
10. Follow me on Google Plus! And leave a separate comment!
You must leave a separate comment in the comments field for each entry that you make to be entered! If you are already any of these things, to enter just leave a separate comment reminding me of that! Contest ends midnight, September 21, 2014. Prizes must be claimed within 48 hours. Maximum winnings of 2 giveaways per every 90 days. See official rules for more information.
Every entry requires a separate comment!
Thanks and good-luck.