Adoption How To:
1. Try to join a support group in your area.
2. Consider an agency or foster care/foster adopt.
3. Interview adoption lawyers.
4. Interview social workers.
5. Referrals for any of the above is always helpful.
6. Do not be intimidated by the process, don’t give up!
How we did it:
1. Joined Wannabe dads/moms.
2. Got social worker referral through group.
3. Got lawyer referral from social worker.
4. Got adoption adviser through lawyer.
5. Take paperwork 1 step at a time, talk to people, network.
6. Most people I know have had great success.JUST DO IT!
We used a social worker for our follow-up visit after the baby was placed with us, I got her from the NYC JCAA, http://www.jccany.org/. You need a social worker before the adoption and after the placement (before the finalization) and I recommend them They are non-denominational, a non-Jewish couple in Staten Island used them, there are no special requirements needed on your part, they can do both and they were very reasonable.
The lawyer I retained was Stephen Lewin, a NYC adoption lawyer. He was down to earth and very practical. There are some scams out there and when I got too excited, he kept me grounded: I recommend him. I felt the charge I received when it was all over was more than fair. How may times do you hear that in relation to lawyers! Of course I am cheap and tried very hard not to bother him with a lot of stuff, extra phone calls will inflate your bill, that is a very expensive way to get your handheld, have a friend do that for you!