Many of you followed along as I Instagrammed, Tweeted and Facebooked my way through the Smucker’s headquarters in Orville, Ohio last week. Several of you even asked for the recipes, so here you go! I would also like to point out that the wonderful Joscelyn of Mami of Multiples was my cooking partner for 2 days!
Pumpkin Soup with Spiced Whipped Cream
Makes: 6 to 8 Servings
Preparation Time: 35 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
• 2 tbsps. Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 cup chopped celery
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
• 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth, divided
• 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
• 1 1/2 tsps. salt, divided
• 1 tsp. ground sage
• 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
• 1 (15 oz.) can pure pumpkin
• 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
• 1 tbsp. fresh snipped chives
1. HEAT oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Place in blender container. Add 1 can chicken broth, flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, sage and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cover and process until smooth.
2. RETURN vegetable mixture to saucepan. Stir in remaining 1 can broth, pumpkin and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until desired consistency.
3. BEAT cream, red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spoon over individual servings of soup. Sprinkle with chives.
Clearly my partner’s soup came out prettier than mine! Sometimes when I like an ingredient (in this case the spiced whipped cream), I tend to go over board!
The next day we made some cookies!
Classic Thumbprint Cookies
Makes: 4 Dozen
Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
Cooking Time: 17 Minutes
• Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
• 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 1 Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, cut into slices
• OR 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
• 3 large eggs, separated
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
• 2 cups finely chopped pecans
• 1 cup Smucker’s® Strawberry Preserves, or any Smucker’s® Preserves, Jam or Jelly
1. HEAT oven to 350°F. Adjust rack to middle position. Coat two cookie sheets lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
2. BEAT brown sugar and shortening in medium bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, water, vanilla and salt. Beat until well combined. Add flour on low speed until well blended.
3. BEAT egg whites in a shallow bowl until foamy. Place pecans in a separate shallow bowl. Measure about 2 teaspoons dough for each cookie. Roll into balls. Dip each dough ball into egg whites, then roll into pecans. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Using the back of a teaspoon or your thumb, make a rounded indentation in the top of each cookie.
4. BAKE 10 minutes. Remove from oven. It may be necessary to create the indentation once again with a spoon. Place about 1 teaspoon preserves into the indentation of each cookie.
Well, instead of preserves I greedily went for the caramel and Joscelyn choose the chocolate filling. I think flexibility in cooking and baking is important. All I can say is YUM!
These recipes are so easy and so delicious, I hope you will try them at home!
I will be writing more as time goes on about all the great things I learned on this trip, in the meantime I encourage you to visit the Smucker’s website and see all the wonderful products they make!
Disclosure: I recently attended an all-expenses paid meeting at The J. M. Smucker Company and I wanted to share the recipes that my team made with you. All opinions are always 100% honest and my own.